Thursday, September 9, 2010

Graniteman, Spartan, and Disneyland

So, I’ve been super busy this summer racing and training. I’ve kind of neglected this blog, but I’m not really sure anyone even reads it so I guess it’s ok to neglect it. In my last update I mentioned some of my upcoming races. I have now completed most of them. Here’s a quick recap:

Graniteman Tri in Wolfeboro, NH. I did awesome. 10 minutes better than last year and got 4th place; missed the podium by only a few minutes. Next year I’ll get a chunk of granite. It’s a long sprint tri – ¾ mile swim, 15 mile bike, and 4.2 mile run and a very hilly course. I finished it in 1:56:09. My goal was to get under 2 hours. Goal accomplished. Oh and then I did an 18 miler the next day!

Good Times Summer Series – 8 weeks of 5k races, different themes each week. I placed 3rd in my age group which is pretty awesome considering half way thru the series I almost got crushed by a garbage truck. If I didn’t have the accident I would have been first place, so next year will be very interesting.

Spartan Race – One word: AWESOME! It was the toughest 5K I have ever run, but it was so much fun. I can’t wait to do it again next year. I got some great photos and the pro photographers got some good ones of me too. I’ll have to buy them and frame them in some kind of rugged bad ass frame. I ran/walked a 20 miler in the heat and humidity the next day. I made it about 15 miles and had nothing left. It was in the 90s and sunny and I went through ~70 ounces of water before I even got home and still lost about 5lbs. in sweat.

DISNEYLAND Half marathon – dressed as Tinkerbell. I was a little disappointed in Disneyland after experiencing Disney World. It’s SO SMALL. It’s like mini-Disney. Everything at the expo was smaller scale and the whole experience was, well, not the same. The race was a nice surprise though. The course was so much fun. Only the first 3 miles went through the parks and the rest went through the streets of Anaheim and through Angel Stadium. The entire course was lined with cheer squads and dance teams and marching bands. It was a great atmosphere. I got a ton of really great photos. I can’t wait to see the pro photos. I managed to run it in 2:13 AND I stopped at EVERY character to take pictures. Felt great at the finish and could have easily kept going. I wasn’t even sore the next day.

Tinkerbell:


Me and Lightning Mcqueen and Mater:


All my Disney Medals:


This weekend I’m running the Nahant 30K, then next weekend is Reach the Beach. I kind of want to do another half before my full, but I don’t think I can afford to after spending so much in Disney. We’ll see. I might be able to scrape up some spare change.

No comments:

Post a Comment