Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rest, recovery, and re-starting training

After the Shires of Vermont I have to admit I was REALLY wiped out.  It took a while for my body to bounce back, actually I feel like it hasn't completely bounced back yet.  My electrolytes were whacked.  I noticed when I saw the pro photos from the marathon that my ankles were super swollen, I kind of had muffin top over my socks.  I knew I had a severe inbalance because I had to loosen my Garmin part way through the race because it was cutting into my wrist.  BUT on the brightside, I felt ok.  I never stopped sweating and I didn't throw up or get the chills so I'll take a little swelling.

Anyway, the only downside to the electrolyte imbalance is that it took my body longer to recover than usual.  I rested all week and still didn't feel great.  Work was stressing me out and even though it was a short week to begin with because I took Monday off it felt like a long week that was never going to end.  I felt so crappy by Thursday that I ended up taking Friday off from work to relax.  It was just what I needed.  I slept in and stayed in bed late into the morning.  Got up slowly and enjoyed some tea and breakfast while watching the Today Show, went for a short bike ride, and then got dressed and headed to REI for the big Memorial Day sale they were having.  I needed an excuse to buy some new tri shorts.  After REI I went to the mall and then headed home for some late lunch and a nap.

Friday night, my friend Erin came over for dinner.  We walked to Life Alive in Lowell and sat and chatted for a while before going back to my house for some tea and more talking.  We got back to my house just in time for the start of the Bellator Fights on MTV2, a friend of mine (Rick Hawn) was fighting in the 155 weight class fight so we stayed up to watch.  It was a wicked good fight.  It went all three rounds and then went to a judges decision.  I was so nervous and I wasn't even there.  He won the fight!  But it was 10:30 when it was over. 

Saturday morning I had plans to do a group run with friends in Hampton Beach, NH but when I woke up it was already in the 70s and I was sweating just standing brushing my teeth.  I bailed on the group run and did a run nearby with Cherie in Methuen and ran 8 miles.  It was super hot and hilly and I barely made it through, but it was pretty nice to be done with the run at 8:30am when we would have been starting the run in Hampton Beach.  I hung out at Cherie's for a while drinking coffee and talking then I headed home for a shower and some food. I took a nice nap and then met up with Kim and Bill in Ayer for an afternoon bike ride.

The bike ride was really nice, we rode about 9.5 miles to an ice cream place and got some yummy treats then rode 9.5 miles back.  I got peanut butter moose tracks.  It was AWESOME!!!  The bike ride was totally flat along the rail trail.  There were a ton of people out and about.  We even saw a snapping turtle.  When we got back from the bike ride we all jumped in the pool to cool off.  It was a perfect day - Run, Bike, Swim - reverse triathlon spread out with a nap and some food inbetween.

Sunday, I decided to be lazy and slept most of the day on my couch watching the History Channel.  Monday was the holiday, I got up and went for a run early in the morning before it got too warm and then hopped on my bike for a nice long ride.  After the ride I started to prepare for the week, went grocery shopping, did laundry, made dinners and lunches for the week.  Then settled down for the evening.

This week so far has been super crazy at work.  I've been working 6am to 7pm everyday.  Yesterday, I went for a run at 4:30am before going to work and I think it pissed off my body because about 6.5 miles into my 7 mile run, almost home, it felt like someone hit me in in the shoulders with defibrillator paddles.  All of the sudden out of nowhere there was a sharp stabbing pain in my upper-middle back.  It hurt to breathe.  I slowed to a crawl and made it home.  Showered and went to work, but the pain was incredible.  I had to take some ibuprofen just to be able to function.

It seems better today, but I'm resting and waiting to see how I feel later.  I have my first triathlon this weekend and I really want to do well, but the forecast is making me worry a little.  70% chance of rain and temps in the 50s.  Could be a yucky race, but it will be fun and a good learning experience.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment