Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summertime = triathlon season!

Triathlon season has officially begun!  WOW, I've been busy.  Haven't had time to post anything.  I finished the Nashua Y-Tri two weekends ago.  Officially my first triathlon of the year since the swim was canceled in the Escape the cape tri.  I'd say it went pretty great considering I haven't really had time to get on the bike and I only swim in races.  And I actually swam faster this year than I did last year in the same race.  My overall time was about 30 seconds slower, but pretty darn consistant.  I was faster in transitionand a little slower on the bike and run.  I really think it has to do with the extra weight I'm carrying in comparison to last year.  It's not a ton, just about 5lbs, but noticable.  I've definitely lost muscle mass.  Whatever, I'm not too concerned about it.

I basically have a tri every other weekend from now until September, wrapping it up with the Pumpkinman Half Ironman in South Berwick, ME.  Add to that training for Chicago and it is going to be a very busy summer.

So far so good.  I have managed to start ramping my mileage back up since the marathon a month ago.  Wow it's hard to believe another month has flown by.  Work is keeping me super swamped and I love it.  Such a drastic change from this time last year.  This time last year was the day before I got laid off.  BEST DAY EVER!  Time really does fly when things fall into place and life is good.  I seriously need to pinch myself occasionally to remind myself that this is not a dream.

Back to the important business of running.  Two weeks ago, wow, seems so long ago.  I did Rest-6-5-7-rest-12-RACE (tri).  Averaging 9:30s on shorter runs and 10:20s on long runs.  Right on track.  I don't really think I will PR in Chicago and I don't care, I'm going with friends and it marks 5 years since I lost the weight that held me back for so many years so I'm just going to have fun and celebrate the new life I've discovered.  Last week I did 6-6.5-6.2-rest-bike-14-rest.  A little slower on the short runs, but I had to run in the morning near home (HILLS) because I had long all day meetings for work from 8:00am-5:00pm. 

My long run this past weekend was AWESOME!!!!  I was running with Shannon, Kim, and Jackie and they wanted to do my 10.75 mile loop and I wanted to do 14 so I went out a little early and did 3 miles before they showed up.  It was EARLY.  They were meeting me at my house at 7:30 so I needed to get out my door by 6:45 to make sure I got home before they got there.  The sun was up, but it was cool and kind of misty out.  I started out fast because I knew I had a time limit.  Then about a mile into the run.........I found a twenty dollar bill on the ground!  I didn't care that it was the crack of dawn I woke up the whole neighborhood and screamed and jumped up and down with my arms in the air.  WOOOHOOOOO!!!!

I got back to my house just as Kim and Shannon arrived and Jackie showed up shortly after.  It warmed up pretty quick, but the loop is mostly shaded so it was not too bad.  We are definitely going to have to start earlier and earlier as the summer goes on.  We kept a very consistant pace.  I averaged 10:18s perfect 4:30 marathon pace, it felt a little faster, but condering the heat factor it made sense that we were working a little harder. 

Saturday evening we all got together for dinner and drinks in downtown Lowell.  It was nice to go out and enjoy great company and even a tall watermelon beer.  Sunday I remembered why I rarely drink anymore.  I felt like ass (excuse the expression).  I wasn't really hungover.  I didn't have a headache or anything.  I just didn't feel like doing anything.  I stayed in my PJs all day despite the fact that it was absolutely gorgeous out and I kind of wanted to go for a bike ride, but couldn't get motivated. 

This week marks the official start of summer and we are getting a heat wave.  I can't wait.  Triple H days coming (hazy, hot, humid) my least favorite running weather.  Countdown til fall can't start now for me.  I'm not a fan of summer only for the reason that it is yucky running weather and I hate the beach anyways.  I'm going to be super busy training and working so I will do my best to post every once in a while, but it may be more sporadic than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment