Friday, March 4, 2011

Challenging but rewarding

That pretty much sums up this week. Tuesday, I had another lovely day in hell despite my best efforts to focus on my job and get work done, work managed to ruin another 8hrs of my life. I left almost in tears, frustrated and overwhelmed with stress. I skipped the gym and opted for a 90-minute therapy session instead (massage therapy, that is). It was exactly what I needed, not just for my mental health, but for my tired muscles too. I felt so good afterwards that I went straight home and changed into my running clothes and went out for a 7 mile run. Just me, the road, a new pair of running shoes, and my thoughts.

Wednesday was a new day and I went to work optimistic and ready to face the day with lots of positive energy, then my computer decided to be totally whack again and prevented me from doing any work at all. I took a break from waiting for the helpdesk to call me and fix the problem and went to eat breakfast. It’s my favorite part of my entire day. I get 5-10 minutes of peace while I jam my food in my mouth and I try to savor the whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter, banana, and honey on it in as few bites as possible so I don’t get in trouble for sitting at my desk too long. Well, on my way back to my desk, drooling over my delicious creation in anticipation of the joy I get from eating it, I DROPPED IT and spilled scalding hot tea all over myself and honey and peanut butter and banana went everywhere BUT in my mouth. I was devastated and almost lost it right there in the hallway. I got some paper towels and mopped up my mess and went back to my desk empty handed and hungry and waited some more for my computer to magically start working again.

After 4hrs of staring at my screen unable to do anything and no response from the helpdesk, I left and used another 4hrs of personal time to get outta dodge. I went to the gym and did a quick 20 minute upper body circuit (oh and I found my missing jump rope!), ran 2 miles on the treadmill for time (new challenge at the fitness center, I did it in 16:38), then 60 minutes of intervals on the elliptical.

Thursday, I made plans with some friends to go into Boston and run the Newton hills. We were able to leave on time and even got there a little early, met up with the other runners at Crossroads and headed to the T station to go to Newton. Somehow my friend Scott and I missed the train everyone else got on and ended up waiting 10 or 15 minutes for the next one. We made it to Newton by 6:50 and started running up the hills. Immediately I remembered how amazing the Boston marathon is and how awesome it felt to run that section of the course. Here are the splits for the run:

Mile1 - 10:01 (First hill, over a few obstacles and around lots of ice)
Mile 2 - 8:28 (When Scott asked me "why are we running so fast?")
Mile 3 - 9:41 (second hill)
Mile 4 - 9:47 (third hill)
Mile 5 - 9:50 (heartbreak)
Mile 6 - 10:15 (cleveland circle, Scott stopped to tie his shoe)
Mile 7 - 9:29 (Eagles Deli, mmmmmm, burgers smell so friggin good)
Mile 8 - 9:33 (Hotel, motel, Holiday Inn, bonus hill)
Mile 9 - 9:30 (Kenmore Square, mass pike bump, I hate that bump)
Mile 10 (the last 400yrds) - 8:14

This is probably about a minute faster per mile than my pace last year over the hills. Totally ready to tear it up on April 18th!

No comments:

Post a Comment