Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Back in the saddle again.....

Hard to believe just a week ago I finished my second Boston marathon. It always amazes me how long the training is and how fast the race goes by. Before you know it, the dream is over and it's back to reality. I wish the post race bliss could last a little longer, but I guess that's what keeps me motivated and moving on to the next race. Chasing the high - 165 days until the Chicago marathon!

In the meantime, I've got Tough Mudder coming up in 10days. The closer it gets, the more nervous I am. Not sure if any caught the episode of Bert the Conquerer on Travel Channel Sunday night, but he was doing the race in Pennsylvania. After watching it I'm torn, it looks way more badass than I originally anticipated, but that guy did it and I'm way more fit than him, so I should be able to do it. There are only a few obstacles that really have me worried. I'm totally ok with being cold and wet and covered in mud. I'm looking forward to it. It's more the running through live electrical wires while cold and wet and covered in mud that scares me a little:

Some of the other obstacles include: Cargo nets, Fire, 12 foot walls, Monkey Bars, Barbed wire and a few other surprises that will test you strength and stamina. They better have tons of course photographers because I want proof that I completed this race.

I've been training hard and doing lots of upper body strength stuff in preparation, but how do you train for electrocution? Even if there was a way, I'm not sure I'd want to do it. Saturday, it was rainy and raw and gross out, so I opted for an indoor workout with my friend Kim. We did a modified 300 workout that looked a little like this:
5 minutes jump rope
3x10 Plyo squats
3x10 Jumping Jacks
3x10 Push Ups
3x10 Mountain Climbers
3x10 Burpees
3x10 Speed squats
3x10 Dips
3x10 Alternating Lunges
3x10 Inclined push ups
3x10 high knees
5 minutes jump rope

Sunday we did a 6 mile run in the morning with some other friends and we were both still super sore from the 300 (in fact, I'm STILL sore). Needless to say our pace was a little slower than normal. I think we averaged 10:30s and complained the whole time about how sore we were. It was awesome.

After the run I went home and showered and made my lunches for the week, then headed back over to my friend Kim's house for Easter dinner and brought a giant chocolate cake with me. I found the recipe and after seeing the nutritional info for it that stated it was ~1300 calories per slice I had to make it. Something that high in calories has to be wicked good and it was! I made peanut butter frosting for the middle and the chocolate frosting for the outside had 3 sticks of butter and 24 ounces of chocolate in it! Easter dinner was great, Kim's husband Bill barbequed ribs, steak tips, and chicken. It was the most meat I've eaten in months and it all tasted delicious!

Post meal food coma lasted 24hrs because yesterday I felt like a zombie walking around work half dead. I could barely keep my eyes open all day. I think if I was given the opportunity to sit for a second I would have fallen asleep, but I was pretty busy all day. After work I went to the gym even though I desperately wanted to go home and crash on my couch instead. I just did an hour of intervals on the elliptical, but it was enough to get my blood flowing again and bring me back to the land of the living.

Assuming I survive Tough Mudder, the following day I'm signed up for a Mother's Day 5K. That should be interesting. I hope it's a nice warm day so I can show up in shorts and show off some battle wounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment