Monday, July 22, 2013

Only 42 days until Labor Day!

Yes I am counting down the days til the end of summer.  I'm done with it.  I'm sick of the triple H - Hazy, Hot, Humid weather.  It has been ridiculously gross and unbearable so far.  Based on July I am afraid of what August is going to be like.
So, I haven't written an update in a while, but not a whole lot is going on so I didn't have much to write about.  Just trying not to die in this heat.  Last week for example, Sunday the 14th I ran a half marathon up in Portland, ME.  It was probably one of my worst races ever.  It started at 7:30am, but it didn't matter, it was already 80 degrees and sticky out.  The course was crowded and wicked hilly.  I ran out of water twice, but refilled at water stations along the way.  By the time I passed the 10 mile marker I was toast.  I was so ready to be done it wasn't funny.  I just told myself, just a 5K.

Pretty sure I had stopped sweating, but it was tough to tell because the humidity was so high that nothing was evaporating off me anyway.  I could feel my brain boiling and when I got to the last mile I actually started to black out.  I could tell things were going dark and I was starting to have dry heaves.  Passed the 13 mile marker and thought, just a tenth of a mile and you're done.  Only, it wasn't a tenth of a mile.  It was .28!!!!! The course was measured at 13.28 and no one bothered to tell the runners until AFTER the race.  So the end felt ridiculously long.....because it WAS.  AND on top of that, when I crossed the finish delirious and dehydrated I was handed an EMPTY water bottle!!!!!!  They were trying to be green and hand out reusable bottles, but they should have filled them for us!  Holy F*ck it was hot and there were 3000 runners waiting in line to fill empty bottles.  (BTW- 5 people were hospitalized and several more treated for heat exhaustion)
I probably should have been one of the people hospitalized.  I was delirious, heaving, and dropping F-bombs like it was my job because I just didn't have the patience to deal with my mom badgering me about what I wanted to do for the rest of the day.  I was focused on NOT PUKING and didn't really give a F*CK what we did for the rest of the day.  We ended up going to brunch at my brother's favorite place because they had $2 Bloody Mary's.  I drank about a gallon of water and took 1000mg of sodium, but it didn't help a whole lot.  I still felt like death. 

The rest of the week I basically tried to recover from the damage done to my body during the race.  I had no appetite, my digestion was messed up even if I did eat something.  I had a headache pretty much consistently every day all week.  I didn't run because the heat index was over 100 every day.  I did go to another Pole Fitness Class and it was even harder than the first two classes, but still wicked awesome.  That shit is NOT easy.  It is definitely an amazing work out.  The highlight of the week was on Wednesday, after work I met Denise at her place in Waltham and we went ot Walden Pond and went swimming.  Checked off another item on my 'to-do' list.  Walden pond.  It was pretty cool, but the water was so warm it wasn't really refreshing.  I feel like the entire week my core temperature was above normal no matter how much AC was blasting.  I felt sick and grumpy and tired all week.  It didn't matter what I did to cool off or re-hydrate.

This past weekend I still wasn't feeling great so I decided to take it easy and just chill.  I did a short 2.62 mile charity run for Jeff Bauman on Saturday and then worked on my scrapbook for 2013, framed and hung teh Boston Magazine cover posters, and napped on my couch for the rest of the day.  Sunday I wanted to do my long run, but I woke up with the worst headache and my body hurt all over like right after I totaled my car so I figured it was a sign to skip the run and start fresh this week.  Temperatures finally broke out of the 90s and are slightly less oppressive in the 80s.  After resting all day yesterday, I am feeling pretty good.  Recharged and ready to get my Berlin training going.  I have 14 miles on the schedule for this weekend and then I get up into the really high mileage (16-20 milers all through August).

No comments:

Post a Comment