Thursday, August 8, 2013

Well, I didn't win powerball.....

So I guess I will have to keep working to support my running addiction. Luckily for me, I kind of like my job. I mean my dream job would be working for Runner's World and writing about my journey to maintain my weight and sanity while running and racing and just being awesome, but someone has to facilitate meetings and manage projects for biotech companies.  Plus, I'm ridiculously good at it.

Back to the important stuff, RUNNING.  August has been pretty amazing compared to July.  Mother Nature has cooled off and turned down the humidity a little.  It's not cool crisp fall weather, but I'll take it.  Over the past two weeks I've been able to run 2-3 days during the week and then get a nice long run in on the weekend.  Did 14 and 16 miles and both went well.  I'm still not exactly where I would like to be pace-wise, but I think I can get there before Berlin.  Still 52 days to go til marathon #14.

My 'cross training' has been pretty interesting this summer.  I haven't been on my bike once.  Which is kind of bad because I have a triathlon next weekend.  But I have been swimming a few times and I got a groupon for Pole Fitness classes and have been going to that every week.  It's really hard.  I have a whole new respect for strippers.  It is a legit workout.  Granted it's pole 'fitness' not pole dancing.  So it's more like Cirque du Soliel than a gentlemen's club.  After the first class I could barely move the next day and nevermind two days later, holy sh*t.  I've gone to 6 classes now and I don't get as sore after, but I still work up a sweat and have some nasty bruises to show for it.

Seven more long runs before Berlin.  Still totally blows my mind that I get up early on Saturday mornings and run 14-20 miles for fun AND I LOVE IT.  Even the shorter easy runs on week nights along the Charles are still strange to me to think about.  The shortest loop I typically do is 6 miles.  I have a vivid memory of one of the trainers, my friend Erin, back in the day at the Fitness Center saying to me one day, "I'm going for a 6 mile run, wanna come with me?" and I responded by laughing and saying "are you nuts?"  Not all of my runs are awesome, but just the fact that I get out there and I try IS AWESOME. 

Just last week, I ran 7 miles on Wednesday night and it was AWFUL.  I felt like I was running through wet cement and my legs weighed a ton and every single step was EXHAUSTING.  It was not too hot out, but a little humid.  I'm not really sure what was up, maybe I was tired from the Pole Class the night before.  Maybe I didn't drink enough water througout the day.  Maybe I didn't get enough sleep the night before.  Could have been any number of reasons, but it was slow and sluggish and not very enjoyable at all.  I stopped to walk a few times and thought, "ugh why is this so HARD?"  The next night I went out and did the exact same 7 mile loop and I ran it 10 minutes faster!  It was actually a little hotter out and really windy, but I felt amazing. 

I ran 5 miles Friday after work before meeting some people for drinks to celebrate International Beer Day and that went well too.  I did a different loop for a change and ran towards the Science Museum instead of running towards Harvard.  I'm not a fan of that side of the river for some reason, but it was a good run.  The drinks were good too.  I consider it training my liver for Oktoberfest after the Berlin marathon.  Need to be ready for those giant German beers.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment