Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Keeping busy, really really busy

Last week I went to see the big guy, Santa, yeah he's already at the mall taking requests for his list.  It's a little difficult to read in the photo (it came out better when printed), but the sign we are holding says:
"ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS A CURE FOR CANCER.  YOU CAN HELP.  DONATE TODAY! 100% of the money raise supports innovative cancer research. Running Boston Strong in 2014" I'm planning to use it for my holiday card to send out to people.  I hope that I get my Christmas wish and all the other little kids in line get theirs too. 

So far I am doing really great as far as fundraising goes.  HUGE THANK YOU to everyone that has donated already.  I am already halfway to my goal to raise $10,000!  That puts me in Wellesley, just past the 'scream tunnel' of girls at the college and leaving the downtown area heading down Rt. 16 towards Newton about to cross over I-95.  This part of the course usually goes by fast for me because I know my friends and family are waiting just past mile 17 at the Fire Station and the base of the Newton Hills.  I hope that it goes by fast on my fundraising map too and everyone reading this helps me get to Newton and over the hills.  Every little bit helps, just like the marathon, one step at a time or one dollar at a time, together we are all a little closer to the ultimate finish line - a world without cancer.
Training for Dopey continues too.  Last week was a recovery week.  I dropped my mileage after a few weeks of building back up to longer distances.  I'm actually really glad it was a recovery week too because I went back to pole fitness after almost 2 months away from it AND added aerial silks into the mix for fun.  Holy crap it was like the first time all over again and I was ridiculously sore after.  And aerial silks is friggin hard!!!!!  Those Cirque du Soliel people are badass!  I thought pole was really difficult until I tried silks.  It's like pole only the pole moves and it's stretchy.

I skipped my mid-week runs to rest because everything hurt after back to back classes Monday and Tuesday.  When the weekend arrived I was still sore, but ready to run.  Saturday I did 8 miles in Ayer with my friend Kim.  I really miss our 5@5 runs in Lowell sometimes.  I think it's been a really long time since the whole gang of Lowell Ladies ran together.  Maybe as long as 2yrs.  I like getting a chance to catch up and chat over a few miles with friends, just wish we could do it more frequently like we used to, but everyone is busy and some moved out of Lowell.  It's definitely getting colder out too.  I had to go buy more long tights last week and layered up for Saturday morning's run.  By the time we finished it was warming up but when we started it was in the low 40s and felt like 30s.

After the run I went to Trader Joes and bought a ton of food I didn't really need.  Shopping 'RUNgry' is bad.  I had plans later in the day to go to late lunch with Milady and then we went to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.  It was so funny.  I hadn't seen Milady since Berlin so it was really great to catch up with her too.  And I was able to return her medal to her.  When they ran out of medals and she saw how upset I was she gave it to me.  I got my medal in the mail a few weeks later from one of the volunteers at the finish.  I sent a Boston Strong t-shirt back to her with a thnak you card. 

Sunday I had to do 14 miles.  I really procrastinated.  I slept in until 7:00 which is really late for me.  Then I sat around sipping tea for most of the morning.  There was a Law and Order marathon on TNT, it sucked me in.  I finally got dressed and motivated around 10am and when I went to put my Garmin on it was dead.  I put it back on the charger for half an hour til it got about 70% charged then headed out.  It was warmer and pretty decent out.  Kind of perfect actually.  I felt really good.  Averaged 10:30s and negative split it.  My last two miles were the fastest.  I spent the rest of the weekend doing laundry and makign some veggie soup and continued the Law and Order marathon.

Back to pole and aerial silks again this week. Monday night I did Pole and it was easier than last week but still intense.  I climbed to the top of the 14 foot pole 3 times!  I was so excited.  I made the instructor take a picture.  I was dripping sweat by the end of class.  My friend Lisa had come with me this time and she was spent too.  It's really hard, I told her.  We grabbed a glass of wine and some small apps after.  Silks last night was ridiculous!  Holy crap.  We did more of the basic stuff we did the week before and then some really crazy stuff.  It was so fun!!!  I did a side climb, then with the silks behind me, arms over my head and legs straddled below, I let go and did a front flip out of the silks.  It's called a drop and it was terrifying but so awesome!  I can't wait to go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment