Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I took Mother Nature’s advice

Friday I took a rest day. That makes 3 days in a row of not running because of the stupid snow. I think that’s a record for me in a non-pre or post marathon week or non-summertime biking to work cross training for triathlons week.

Saturday morning, I got up early and drove to the Greater Boston Running Company Store in Lexington to volunteer for the Dana Farber Group run. I bundled up because the forecast was calling for friggin freezing temperatures. I had my under armor on under my jeans, three layers on up top, fleece lined wool mittens and my fuzzy warm hat too. Got to Lexington and it was 8 degrees!!!! All the layers in the world can’t keep you warm when you’re standing still in 8 degrees pouring cups of water. My toes froze and my finger tips were numb, but I still cheered for every DFMC runner that came to our water stop. I had a sign that read “Find your happy pace” and homemade oatmeal awesomeness cookies (raisins, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, AND white chocolate chips).

They were running 8-12 miles and some people extended the run and did 14 miles. We were at the 4.8 mile water stop at the end of the Minuteman bike path in Arlington and although we were cold, we didn’t have frost forming on our faces from the sweat freezing instantly in the wind like the runners did. At the end of the run, back at the store, some of the runners had icicles on their hats from the sweat. It was so cold they said that the other water stop was serving slushies.

When I left Lexington, the temperature was warming up, it was 10 degrees. By the time I got back to Lowell it was actually in the 20s so I texted my friend and made plans to go for a run. My legs were so ready to run I felt like a little kid at recess. My friend hates “the Hill” so I took her on the hilly non-hill 7 mile loop. She was cursing me by the end of the run because I told her we were going around “the Hill” but I forgot to mention that that just means a lot of little hills instead of one big hill. I felt great and finished sprinting up the last little incline and waiting at the top for her and cheering her on.

Saturday night I went to a party at Fit Lifestyles Studios, my friend Jenine’s fitness studio in Melrose, MA. It was for her clients, friends and family; I kind of fit into all those categories. I started out as a client back in the day before she owned her own business when this crazy chick I barely knew told me I should run a half marathon after I finished my first 2 mile run ever and almost puked. Then I became her friend when she cheered me on as I crossed the finish line at the B.A.A. half marathon a few months later and reached the 100lb. milestone. Now we’re like family and I couldn’t imagine my life without her in it. It’s so amazing how far I’ve come, but I sometimes wonder if I would have done all the things I’ve done if she wasn’t there telling me I could. It was great to be able to go to the party and tell her current clients how much she has done for me and that she could do the same for them.

Sunday morning was cold and I was really warm and cozy in my pajamas and I didn’t really want to go outside for my long run, but I bundled up and got it done. 12 miles and I felt pretty good. Not super fast, but I finished strong. Hoped in my car and went to the Rite Aid for my post long run ritual ice pick up. 20 minutes in the tub filled with cold water and ice and a hot shower to defrost and I was ready to go again (but I didn’t). Instead I went to a friend’s house to watch some football and eat all his food. I warned him that I would be coming hungry. He and his wife had prepared a delicious spread and I sampled ALL of it. I think some of his other friends probably wondered where I store it all. Pulled pork, chicken wings, chili, chowder, mac n cheese, calzones, cookies, and fudge – yup I ate it ALL. It was awesome! Special thanks to the Nottingham’s for feeding me!

Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. day and for the first time in the 10yrs that I have worked at Genetics Institute/AHP/Wyeth/Pfizer we got the day off!!! I took advantage and snuggled on my couch all morning with my cat Lola and made an awesome veggie lasagna with organic whole wheat and flax seed noodles and roasted garlic and veggies. Then I went for another run. I did the 7 mile hilly non-hill loop again and crushed it; proof that ice baths are awesome! I felt amazing. And along the way I saw the Tewksbury PD out patrolling the road I run on and pulling people over for speeding. I have to write them another thank you note. I REALLY appreciate them keeping the roads safe for me when people whiz by me so fast that I can taste the salt from the road whirling into the air as they fly by.

Anyway, that pretty much sums up my long weekend. ONLY 90 DAYS until I get to run the Boston Marathon again!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment