Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME!!!!

So far this week has been kinda blah, but that could be because of the weather. It's been cloudy and rainy for pretty much all of May. With sun not appearing in the forecast until Sunday or Monday this week is pretty dreary, but I'm not letting it get me down because today is my BIRTHDAY!!!!

After my lazy day on Sunday, I hit the gym Monday after work and did an hour of intervals on the elliptical and it felt great. I had it on the highest resistance and could have gone higher if the option was available. I was going to do some strength too, but as I've said many times before, strength training is my least favorite thing to do and it's the easiest thing for me to skip. So I skipped it.

Tuesday, I brought my gym stuff to work with the intention of working out a little before the Good Times 5K later in the evening, but after a rather dull day at work, I was lacking motivation to do much of anything. I was even considering bailing on the 5K and spending the night on my couch instead. About two hours before the race I put on my running gear to try and get psyched up to run. Then I got sucked into watching the Fabulous Beekman Boys on TV. It's hilarious and I love it. I looked at my watch at 6:40 and thought "SH*T! I'm gonna miss the race". Jumped off the couch grabbed my key and ran out the door, literally.

I made it. Even though I still wished I was on my couch, I was there and I was going to run. It was drizzling and grey and sort of windy - all around gross. The race started promptly at 7pm and we were off. I did not feel great, but I did OK. I finished in 26:01, faster than the previous week, but still not back to my pre-Boston/Mudder speed. I felt like I was gonna vomit at the finish. Maybe the Trader Joe's Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter filled pretzels were a bad idea for pre-race fuel. Especially after the frozen chicken and bean burrito for dinner and the Yasso Frozen Greek yogurt for dessert. :( Lesson learned.

Plan for today is Birthday workout at the gym and hopefully some prizes for the Resolution Challenge incentive program, then a Lowell Ladies run later on complete with Birthday cookies from my friend Kim. Chocolate chip with dried cherries. OMG - they're good. I can't wait. Then there will be lots more Birthday fun this weekend, I'll elaborate on that next week.

I'd love to start biking to work. I had already logged quite a few days by this time last year, but the weather is unpleasant and dangerous so I've been hesitant to try. It would be nice considering gas is $4 a gallon. Plus, I need to get some miles in soon. I noticed on my calendar my first triathlon is only 3 weeks away. I might try to squeeze in some miles this weekend, perhaps 33 miles for my birthday. :)

Work is mimicking the movie "Office Space" lately. I feel like Peter Gibbons just waiting for my meeting with the Bobs. It's not bad, I like what I do, it's just that lingering feeling of we all may not have jobs tomorrow that kind of makes it hard to stay motivated. I'm trying to stay focused and do the work and enjoy the life my paycheck allows me to have until the ax drops. It's out of my hands and all I can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I know whatever happens it will be for the best. Who knows, maybe I'll end up working construction like Peter Gibbons. All I know is I better get some cake because it's MY Birthday! :)

"The ratio of people to cake is too big" - Milton Waddams

No comments:

Post a Comment