Tuesday, May 10, 2011

More Mudder Memories


After we crossed the finish line we were given our Tough Mudder orange headbands, water, bananas, Clif bars, and of course, the free beer (which I gave to Carl). I got a mylar blanket and tried to stop shivering, but I couldn't get the blanket around myself because my hands were full with food and water. This nice couple saw me struggling and shivering and offered to hold all my stuff while I got the blanket on. My hands were so numb I couldn't tie the blanket corners into a knot. I finally got all wrapped up like a frozen burrito and headed over to where Jodie and Carl were standing. Still shivering uncontrollably, I decided to stand by the bonfire to warm up. Even being within inches of a fire I couldn't warm up so as soon as Jodie finished her beer we went to get our bags and change into dry clothes.

On the way to the restrooms at least one medical staff person asked me if I was ok. I don't know what my reply was, but I must have mumbled yes in some form. We made it to the restrooms and there was just one changing room. Jodie went in first and I washed my face off in the sink. I had what Jodie described as a mud goatee. Finally, it was my turn. It felt so good to get the wet muddy clothes off. I was SHOCKED by how much mud I was covered in and in places I didn't think mud could have gotten into based on what I was wearing. Even with capri pants on I had chunks of mud on my thighs and the mud also managed to get in under my tank top and sports bra. It was pretty gross. I cleaned off as best as I could and put my dry clothes on. I was still shivering and I had forgotten my flip flops in my car and really didn't want to put my muddy shoes back on. Jodie was nice enough to go get them from the car for me. While I waited there were two girls in the bathroom making mini-Jacuzzis out of the sinks and washing their feet off. I hopped up on the counter and joined them. It felt AMAZING!!!! My feet actually began to defrost and regain feeling. Jodie returned with my flip flops and we headed back to the finish area to meet up with Carl. I ran to my car to throw my wet clothes in there and get my sweatshirt.

On my way to and from my car two more medical staff asked me if I was ok. I must have really looked like a wreck. I just couldn't stop shivering. It was actually starting to hurt I was shaking so violently. When I made it back to the finish area and found Jodie and Carl we walked around and checked out the event merchandise and then decided maybe some food would help us warm up. Plus, most of the food was indoors which was also a lot warmer. We got in the first line we found, the pizza line. As we were waiting and I continued to shiver, this woman walked up to me and asked me if I drank coffee. I said yes and she handed me a hot cup of green mountain coffee. It was AWESOME!!! I picked out my slices of pizza and waited in line to pay and sipped my free coffee. Just as I got up to the register there was a man trying to just get a bottle of water for his daughter, with about 20 people in line and a thirsty whining little girl I let him go in front of me. After he paid, the woman at the register said I was sweet and I didn't have to pay! Free pizza!

What an amazing end to an already amazing day. After we finished eating we hit the road for the 2 and a half hour drive back home. I couldn't wait to take a hot shower. The whole way we talked about how crazy it was that only hours before we were freaking out about starting Tough Mudder and what had we gotten ourselves into and now we were DONE. We did it and we both conquered our biggest fears. Well done Tough Mudder! It definitely delivered and challenged us in ways that no other event can even come close to doing.

When I got home, I couldn't get into the shower fast enough. Taking my braids out became another obstacle; there was so much mud in my hair my sink went from white to brown in an instant. It then took 3 or 4 swipes with q-tips to get all the mud out of my ears. Kinda gross, but I also used q-tips to get the mud out of my nose, followed up with a rinse using my neti pot. Mud was EVERYWHERE. Finally, I got in the shower and scrubbed off the rest of the mud. I should probably just throw that wash cloth away because it will never be white again. I had to wash my hair twice.

Warm dry pajamas and you would think I'd be ready to pass out, but I was past the point of no return, so exhausted and over tired I couldn't sleep. Plus, I was hungry again. Carl wore his heart rate monitor during the race and said he burned close to 5000 calories. I don't think I burned quite as many considering he's twice my size, but I wouldn't be surprised if I burned close to 3000. I finally fell asleep around 11pm and I had to get up early in the morning to head to Somerville for the MOM's run 5K.

Yeah, I'm crazy, I ran a 5K the day after Tough Mudder. Probably not my smartest idea. But it was for Dana Farber Cancer Research and I felt like I HAD to run it. The course was hillier than I was ready for. My legs just couldn't do anymore climbing. I managed to finish in 28 minutes and change, not bad, but a little slow for me. After the race was over, I grabbed some of the free food they had and drove to the grocery store and then home. On the way, I called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. As soon as the groceries were put away I crashed on my couch and slept for the rest of the day. A shame, I know, because it was a beautiful day and friends wanted me to go for a run or a bike ride, but I was spent and just wanted to be horizontal for the rest of what was left of the weekend. I slept great and took a rest day Monday to recover a little more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment