Monday, January 6, 2014

Ok 2014, let's do this!

Oh, HI! Just getting ready to have the best race ever in the happiest place on earth.  I know I have trained for this and I have done Goofy 3 times before, and this will be my 15th marathon, but I can't help it, I still get crazy nervous in the week leading up to race day.  So, before I talk about how nervous I am, let me re-cap the last few days of 2013.

So, I did it, I completed the holiday run streak.  Running at least one mile per day from Thanksgiving to New Years.  I ended up with a total of 220 miles, the last week was rough and I was really happy to NOT run on January 2nd (plus we got a huge snow storm so it would have sucked to run).  It was ridiculously cold a few of the days.  Christmas morning was in the single digits.  I didn't get my 20 miler in because of a snow storm, but I did manage to do another 3-7-11-18 weekend and that went well so I think I will be fine for the Dopey Challenge.

Santa was REALLY good to me and listened to my request for donations to Dana Farber.  I got about $500 in donations over the holidays.  My fundraising is going great. I hope I can keep up this pace.  I'm almost at $7000.
In a few weeks I will be having my first public event.  I am hoping that a lot of my friends and people in the community can attend.  It will be a really fun night at the Old Court in Lowell hosted by the wine shop Tutto Bene.  We will be painting the Boston Skyline.  I will have door prizes and opportunity drawings.  There will be a cash bar and of course you get to take your artwork home with you. Call or go online to sign up - you need to register to attend and paint.  So, this means all my friends that said they want to go, you can't just show up, you need to SIGN UP.
Ok, now back to Disney and getting Dopey.  In just a few days I will be running 4 races back to back, 5K-10K-half marathon-full marathon, 48.6 miles in 4 days.  I've trained and I feel really good about it but I am starting to freak out and get nervous.  I think I'm more nervous than usual because I'm going by myself, not with my usual running buddies Jason and Kristen.  I know several people that are running and will be in Florida, but it's not the same.  I've run races alone before and I always meet really cool people along the way, but it doesn't make it any easier. 

Plus, I had some last minute emergency travel changes to add to the stress.  I thought that the 5K started later in the morning Thursday and I would have time to get my number on race day, then I got the final race instructions and found out I have to get everything Wednesday and my flight was scheduled to arrive after the expo closed so I had to switch flights and pay an extra $200 for the new flight in fees.  It's cool, it worked out and I will have more time Wednesday to check out the expo and go to the grocery store after I check into my hotel.  I just really didn't need that freak out on top of already freaking out about the races.
I'm also sort of freaking out about leaving.  I'm pretty adventurous, but I'm also a home body.  I don't like to leave my comfort zone and I worry A LOT about my house when I'm away.  It's old.  What if a pipe bursts, what if there's an electrical fire, what if someone breaks in?  These are the crazy thoughts that go through my mind.  Plus, I need to find someone to feed my cats.  They can pretty much take care of themselves but I like to have someone check in on them and make sure they didn't eat all their food in the first day I was gone.

I'm trying to decide if while I'm down there I should go to one of the parks to kill some time, but the tickets are like $100!  Geez, Disney, I already paid an arm and a leg for the race registration, don't you think you could give me a pass with the registration???? Come on, just once it would be nice.  How do I decide which park to go to?  Do I go traditional and do Magic Kingdom or go for new stuff and go to Universal?  Or do I save my money and just chill by the pool?  Things to decide in the next few days.....but first I need to do a little work, it will be a good distraction so I can stop freaking out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment