Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Goofy training almost done


I'm actually really looking forward to the taper right now. My back to back long runs are wearing me out. For a while there I wasn't sure what was up and I wasn't feeling good at all. My med-long runs would go ok, but then my long run would be torture, not painful just slow and sluggish. I'm still not even close to as fast as I was last spring Pre-Boston/Tough Mudder, but I was getting there and starting to feel a little better. The 14 miler I did two weeks ago was depressing. My legs felt fine and my heart rate was fine and I felt like I was really working, but my Garmin told a different story. I was struggling to do 11-12 minute miles when I know I can do 9:00s on a good day.

Amazing what the right nutrition and hydration will do to improve things. This past weekend I did an 8 mile run and then a 16 mile run. I was sort of dreading the 16 miler because of my experience the week before on my 14 miler, but Sunday morning I got up and got dressed and headed out and figured I didn't care how long it took, I just needed to get the miles in. I started out slow and eased into it. I brought salt tabs with me this time and reminded myself to drink a sip every mile to stay hydrated. I felt a lot better. I was averaging 10:00s and even after passing the halfway mark I still felt amazing. A total change from the previous week. I finished the run averaging 10:18s a perfect 4:30 marathon pace.

Now the only thing that is lingering and annoying me and could put a damper on my training is lack of sleep. I have been tossing and turning and waking up a lot throughout the night and basically just not sleeping well at all. My resting heart rate has been elevated for the last 3 days and I feel like I might be coming down with something. I need a new bed really bad. I might break down and buy one this weekend. I've had my bed for over ten years and it was a hand me down when I got it. I can afford a new one, the thing that always stops me from buying a new bed isn't going to a furniture store (although that is part of it, those sales people are almost as bad as used car sales people) it's buying all new bedding. See, right now I have a full size bed and there's no way in hell I'll buy another full. I want (and deserve) a queen size bed. BUT that means I need new sheets, a new comforter, a new duvet, Probably could use new pillows, not to mention a new bed frame too! My matress is currently on the floor so a bed frame would be a huge improvement. I wonder how much my training would improve if my sleep improved. I'm guessing exponentially.

Anyway, regardless of what 'me to me' gift I get this year. I will definitely be wrapping up 2011 with a lot of miles. I'm at just over 1600 right now and will be doing a 12 and 18-20 this weekend for my last long runs before Goofy plus about 20 miles mid-week, there are 3 weeks left in the year and I've been getting >40 miles per week. If I keep it up I will hit 1700+ miles for the year. I've done about 50 races including the stair climb, Tough Mudder and my half Ironman. I'd say it has been an epic year and I have accomplished my resolution to challenge myself in new and different ways. I will have to get creative and think of a really good resolution for next year. Suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment