Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tis the season to be GOOFY......


A little Holiday humor. tehehe

Shoppin’ the mall in a vest so poofy,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Tis the season to be GOOFY,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Now it’s time for me to taper,
Fa la la, la la la, la la la.
I even have time to read the paper,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Lots and lots of down time for me,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
In the kitchen baking I will be
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Making holiday goodies is my pleasure,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Though, it may not help your waistline measure,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Fast the days of training did go by,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
But it was no piece of cake or pie,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

All that’s left now is to REST,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
So that in Disney I can do my best,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Last week I came to the realization that I had A LOT to do and not enough time to get it all done so I ended up taking a vacation day Friday to try and accomplish some things. It was just what I needed. I got a lot done. I got up super early and went for a run with my friend Cherie. After the run I baked a double batch of sugar cookies, made 8 pounds of fudge, baked a capuccino fudge cheesecake with kalua ganache, and vanilla cupcakes. In the afternoon, I did another run with my friend Ann and while we were running there was a bad car accident in the road we ran on. We stopped and helped the two women injured until the fire department and police showed up. My EMT training comes in handy every once in a while. Finished up our run, then I decorated the cupcakes and cookies!

On Saturday, my friend Moe was hosting a group run from her house and it was a 7 mile loop so I got up early and did 7 from my house before heading over to her house. There was a really great group of people there for the run. I did my first 7miles at roughly a 10:20 pace or maybe 10:30, just nice and easy still not totally awake and not ready for how friggin freezing it was out. Then I managed to do 9:30s with the group! We had pumpkin pancakes afterwards and talked about other upcoming events. I still haven't decided on a spring marathon. Need to figure something out.

Anyway, after the run I braved the crowds and the traffic and the parking at the ...ugh...MALL! I decided it was finally time for me to buy myself a new bed. I was dreading the whole experience because furniture salespeople are right on par with used car salespeople on a scale of annoyance and douchebaggery. I confirmed this in the first store I went to. I walked in and was targeted by a very portly, red headed, sleezy salesman. I told him I needed a new bed and he made a b-line right for the most expensive top of the line super fancy new technology gel infused foam matress. I told him I wasn't really interested in foam and I wanted an inner spring matress and he argued with me and said that they were outdated and soon to be off the market and I NEEDED to get the gel foam. See the squishy cut out thingy doesn't it look cool. His stupid flashy toys weren't working on me but out of curiosity I asked how much a queen size super fancy foam matress costs. It was a bargain at $1999 he told me. If I had my matress for 25 years that would only be $75 a year (clearly he can't do math because I just did the math and it's $80 idiot). That doesn't include the base that the foam needs because regular bed frames don't support it's fanciness. I didn't even bother to ask how much the base cost. I said I was going to look at bed frames and I left.

The next store was a totally different experience. There was a very nice woman there that asked me all kinds of questions about how I sleep and if I currently experience any pains or trouble sleeping and focused on me and not a fancy foam matress. They even had a cool machine that showed how my weight was distributed when I was laying down in different positions. She showed me several different matresses based on the information from the machine. I found a nice pillowtop inner spring matress that I can definitely see myself drooling on in the near future - it was half the price of the stupid foam thing AND it included the boxspring! I also founf a very nice bed frame to go with it. I can't wait to sleep on it. Everything is being delivered this Friday - Merry Christmas to ME!

Saturday night I went to a holiday party at Cherie's house. I brought the cheesecake I made the day before and my party shoes and even had a few Christmas cosmos (this would come back to haunt me the next day). The party was so much fun. All my running buddies were there and some new friends too. We partied late into the evening and early Sunday morning. And at some point someone (Josh) turned on the 80's music channel and we had some drunkin sing alongs to end the night. It was great. I gave out presents to all my running friends - a headlamp and a first aid kit for Nutter since she's always wiping out when we run, Lululemon gloves with a wind proof fold over mitten for Kim because her hands are always cold, and a handmade coupon for Cherie for "a moment in time" I will babysit while she and her husband go out on the town because she's super busy working fulltime and going to school and driving two boys to various sporting events. Everyone loved their gifts and THAT is the greatest gift I can get - smiles on my friends faces.

Sunday I tried to wake up early, but the Christmas cosmos and late night made it a little tough. I think I rolled out of bed around 7:30 which is wicked late for me. I had some tea and a slice of leftover cheesecake for breakfast. Got dressed and sat on my couch in my running clothes trying to get motivated. It took a while but I finally started running around 9:45am. I felt pretty good. I made a conscious effort to stay hydrated knowing that the Christmas cosmos probably dehydrated me a little. Sipping water and clif shots everytime my garmin beeped at mile markers. I took salt tabs every two miles or so and gels at 5, 9, 12.5 and 14.5. I maintained a decent pace between 10:00 and 10:30s for the first 14 miles, then my tummy rumbled and I really had to pee, perhaps drinking at every mile was too much. Either way, I had to go and there was no gas station or port o potty in sight. I slowed my pace to 11:00s and took walk breaks. FINALLY at 16.5 miles with a mile and a half to go there was a Mobil station and I stopped. After I felt great and it was like I started a brand new run. I could have done a few extra miles, but decided to play it safe and rest. 32 miles in 2 days is enough goofiness.

Wicked busy weekend, but I got a lot done and now I can relax for the rest of the year. I got all my shopping done, all my baking done, Goofy training done. Time to taper and enjoy the holidays with friends and family. Happy holidays everyone! Stay healthy and active!

No comments:

Post a Comment