Thursday, April 8, 2010

Almost there...

11 days until the marathon and only a couple hundred dollars away from my revised fundraising goal of $7500. I can't believe how fast the time went by. It seems like just yesterday I got the email from Dana Farber saying I was on the team and then I started freaking out, first about the fundraising minimum then about running THE Boston Marathon! I kept telling people, "running will be the easy part, I'm worried about the fundraising." Now, I've reach a point where that theory has flipped and the fundraising was the easy part (many thanks to everyone that helped and donated) and I'm worried about the running. This is when I start to freak out about the race: will it be too hot, too cold, windy, raining, snowing (don't laugh it could happen), will I get boo boo belly, will the hills destroy my quads and all hopes of a PR, will people show up to cheer for me, will I make them proud, will I crash and burn in the last 6 miles, OR will I triumph and cross the finish line sobbing tears of joy with a PR and the perfect celebration of my personal transformation over the past 3 years, from couch potato to Boston Marathon finisher!

I can't wait to find out. :)

This week, the taper continues. I rested on Monday after my long-ish 14 mile run on Sunday. I went to Target and printed the photos from the weekend trip along the marathon course and then spent a small fortune at the craft store on some scrapbooking supplies. Monday night I sat on the floor in front of the TV pasting together a mile by mile photo tour of the course. I'm up to Heartbreak Hill and have one page left to get me to Kenmore Square and the Citgo sign. I'm leaving Boylston St. and the finish line for after the race. I kind of don't want to enter that space until race weekend. I feel like it's sacred ground and I want to REALLY experience it and take it all in to the point of being overwhelmed by it. I get chills just thinking about it.

Tuesday, I did my normal 6 mile out and back before jury duty. My legs felt a little heavy at first and I didn't really get into a good rhythm until after the turn at the top of the hill and the last 3 miles coming back home. I managed to avoid the tree this week, partly because the sun was coming up and it was pitch black and pouring rain and partly because I think someone may have cut down the branch I ran into. I finished the run strong and felt good.

Wednesday, I biked into work for the first time this year. It was great, but I forgot how heavy my back pack can be and I was definitely a little slower than I was towards the end of the year last year biking in. I rode the 11 mile distance in a little over 45 minutes, averaging 14mph. Last year I was closer to 40 minutes and averaging 18-20mph. Clearly I've got some work to do or I need to make my back pack lighter. :) On the way home, I took the scenic route, a 14 mile loop over some very challenging hills. It took me about an hour, so I was still averaging 14mph. What a nice ride though. It was hot, in the 80s, but there was a strong breeze that kept me cool and gave me a little extra challenge because it was a headwind the entire way home. Still, not bad for the first bike commute of the year.

Today, the plan is to do a 4-6 mile run after work and then maybe a little strength training. I hate lifting so we'll see if that actually happens. I'll do my best to force myself to do it, but I won't like it. Most likely I'll go for my run and then be too hungry to focus and I'll skip the lifting. OR I could lift first and then reward myself with the run. I know it's important and it will make me a better runner and help me improve my body composition even more than I already have, I just get bored instantly doing it. Oh well, it has to be done.

Tomorrow, I booked myself a 90 minute massage! I can't wait. 10 days to go and what better way to relax and repair than get a nice deep tissue sports massage with hot stones and soothing aromatherapy. It's gonna be AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment