Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The LONGEST week of my life

This week is going by so slow. I’m counting down the days to Marathon Monday and they will not go by fast enough.

Saturday I ran the Boston Tune Up 15K in Upton, MA. I drove to the race, got my number and t-shirt. It was a little chilly and windy, but nice. I figured it was my last longish run before Boston so, I’d just take it easy. It was a hilly course so I focused on really holding back on the down hills and accelerating on the up hills. I wanted to feel like I was holding back. I ignored my garmin and paced myself based on my Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE). Basically, I went by how I felt. I felt like I was going slow. The first 5K went by fast, the second 5K I told myself “OK, now get comfortable and run your normal training pace”, and in the last 5K I really kicked it up and thought of it just as a 5K and raced it. I passed a guy with less than 2 miles left to go and said, “beautiful day for a run, eh” and he replied, “yeah, you’re really getting a kick at the end”. And I said, “Just think, next week this will be like running down Comm. Ave. onto Hereford, then Boylston. I visualized the final stretch of the race, the crowds in the streets cheering me on, the blue and yellow BAA Banner, and crossing the finish line. I finished in 1:26:54, averaging a 9:15 pace. That’s a minute per mile faster than my goal pace.



Sunday I just did a short recovery run with a friend and walked the last part of it because he has a nagging ankle injury that may prevent him from running Boston. After the run, I showered and went out shopping for more scrapbook supplies and some food. I cooked dinner for my friends, Ann and Jack. They will be volunteering at the DFMC tent at mile 25. I can’t wait to see them there.

Monday was a rest day and yesterday I did an easy 6 mile out and back, my normal Tuesday morning run. The rest of the week will be pretty chill. I might do one or two more short runs and then just rest. The days at work go by painfully slow. It feels like the clock doesn’t move at all. I know it will be a pretty unproductive week. I only have one thing on my mind and it’s not work related. I can’t wait to go to the expo on Friday and get my number and my jacket and maybe a few other goodies. And most of all I can’t wait to RUN.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alicia - I am a writer for aol health and fitness and would like to interview you about Boston. Please email me at ddunham426@aol.com and let me know if you would be interested and available for a phone interview tomorrow. Thank you!

    Deborah dunham

    ReplyDelete