Saturday, February 13, 2010

Being sick sucks

I went into Boston Thursday night with my new running buddy Susan, excited for another great Crossroads run. Little did I know there was trouble brewing in my gut. I had been feeling a little run down all week, but I thought I was past the worst of it and feeling better. We ran the hills hard and fast and started the decent into Boston. Then I heard a rumble in my tummy. Not like a "mmmm, pizza is close" rumble. It was a "bad things are gonna happen" rumble. 7 miles into the almost 9 mile run, I had to stop. Thank GOD for Anna's Taqueria! They let me use the rest room. I haven't been that sick probably since my 21st birthday. We tried to start running again, but I couldn't. I still felt really sick. So, we walked the rest of the way back to Crossroads. I quickly changed into dry clothes and we drove back to my house. As soon as I was home, I was sick again and doubled over in pain for about two hours. I finally fell asleep and my power went out. I sleep with a fan on and as soon as it stops I wake up. The power came right back on, but I had trouble falling asleep. Just as I dozed off again, the power went out AGAIN! Then there was only about an hour until I had to be up for work. I managed to fall asleep without the sound of the fan and then the power came back on and woke me up AGAIN! I just got up and got ready for work. I weighed myself and I had lost 4lbs. overnight from dehydration. I went to work still feeling sick, but making an attempt to gut it out. That didn't work out well, I made it 2 hours and felt like I was going to vomit so I went home. I got sick again but finally I was able to get to sleep and I SLEPT A LOT, all day in fact. Then I woke up and actually felt better and hungry. I instantly started rehydrating and getting some electrolytes in my system. I emailed DFMC and let them know I might not make it to the group run. Went to bed early hoping to feel better in the morning.

Today I woke up and still felt less than great, but I figured I would try to do the group run and I could always cut the mileage short if I wasn't feeling good. I headed to Lexington and boy am I glad I did. I got my "High Five Gloves" from DFMC for raising over $5000. I still can't believe it. I was worried about hitting the minimum fundraising amount and I'm already past my fundraising goal. Then, I started the run. What a gorgeous day! In the mid-20s to start, warming up to mid-30s by the end of the run. Sunny and no wind. The bike path was a little icy, but not bad. I ended up running the entire 16 miles, many thanks to fellow DFMC runner Kim who kept me going and helped me push my pace a little faster than I normally would have run. I struggled a little in the last 2 miles, but still finished strong and felt good. Not bad for being really sick only 24hrs before the run.

After the run, I stopped at Trader Joes and they had my favorite snack back in stock - dried, unsulfured, unsweetened pineapple!!! It's so good. I picked up a few things and headed home for an ice bath. 20 minutes in a tub full of ice and cold water- Works miracles. Hot shower and some food and I was ready to go out shopping. On the list for the day: 1/4" yellow ribbon, tiny royal blue buttons, a fabric marker, and sew on letters. I created my mile dedications map. A laminated copy of the course map with ribbons hand stitched on with the blue buttons holding them in place, names of loved ones lost to cancer or currently battling it from donors that gave $100 or more. It looks really cool. Then I stitched the sew on letters to the front of my singlet spelling out my name so friends and family can spot me on the course. It looks awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment