Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Running makes everything better

After the weekend of volunteering and a long run in the bitter cold, I was starting to feel like I was getting a cold. I was exhausted on Monday and I didn't even have the excuse of staying up late to watch the Superbowl. I actually went to bed at 7:30 Sunday night! I went to bed thinking it was later, then rolled over and saw the clock but was too tired to get out of bed at that point so I just fell asleep, at 7:30! Work was not great, but not good either and by the time I was done I just dind't have any motivation to go to the gym. I mean I could have gone and done 30-45 minutes of something, but it would not have been a purposeful workout. It would have been just going through the motions, so I took a rest day (I was due for one anyway after my 14 miler). Went to bed early and got up super early.

This morning I woke up refreshed and feeling better, I had some tea and breakfast and got dressed to go for a run. 6:00am, dark, cold, and windy. I had my headlamp, blinky lights, and reflective vest. The first mile felt a little sluggish, but then I found my rhythm and got into a groove. Before I even made it to the top of my favorite hill the sun had started to come up! A sign that the days are definitely getting longer. It was actually pretty bright as I made the turn at the top of the hill to head back home. Only thing that kind of sucked, when I turned, I turned into the WIND. It was tough, but I managed to gut it out and push hard through the last 3 miles of my 6 mile run and recorded negative splits (running into the wind!) I did learn a very valueable lesson though, spitting into the wind never ends well. The trick is to turn your head and spit behind you to avoid getting it in the face.

6 more miles done and feeling good. What a great way to start the day. I ended the day well too, I went to the bank and got a check for the final cheesecake drawing and the spare change jar I had. The grand total.......$400! Cha Ching! Now I hope my party next week will bring in some more donations and the online donations will continue to trickle in. In the first 10 days of the month I've managed to raise ~$1000! I hope it's enough to get me into the top 26 fundraisers for the month so I can win one of the cheer shirts from Dana Farber. I told my mom if I win it I'm mailing it to her so she can wear it on Marathon Monday. We don't have a great relationship, but I feel like Dana Farber is bringing us closer together and mending some old wounds that have kept us apart for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment