Friday, February 5, 2010

Just over the 5K mark!!!!!

This week has been crazy, but it ended on a very positive note. Wednesday, I got an email from my brother telling me that one of my cousins on my dad's side of the family had breast cancer. He only just met her recently and I don't know her. That side of my family is huge and we don't talk to them much. But it was still upsetting and sad that yet another person in my family is battling this disease. Last year one of my dad's sisters lost her battle with breast cancer. So, not feeling great anyway and overwhelmed with the news, instead of the gym I went to Trader Joes, for the second time in just a few days. They have chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels!!!! Why am I only discovering this now??? OMG, they're dangerously delicious. They made me feel a little better.

Moving on, Thursday (World Cancer Day) was a more than normal unpleasant day at work. I'm usually really good at leaving work at work when I leave, but it was such a bad day it hung with me and really upset me. But if was just fuel for my first run at Crossroads. I drove down to Boston with a friend and got there just in time to throw on some extra layers and walk to the T station with everyone. Rookie mistake #1: Paid for my pass with a $20 bill and got 18 dollar coins back for change. A little extra weight to carry for the run and a lot of jingle jangling noise to annoy me and everyone else for the 8+ miles back to Boston. The run felt great, I hung back and took it easy for the first few miles to get comfortable and then at the third hill I took off. I took all the things that pissed me off all day long and redirected that energy to my legs and flew up the hill like a Kenyan. Then I continued to pick up speed on the other side downhill into Boston. I let gravity help me out and just kept building and building and then in the last 3 miles or so, I really pushed and picked up my pace. I finished strong, stopped at my car and grabbed dry clothes and walked over to Crossroads to cool down and stretch. Rookie mistake #2: Not eating something before the run. Finishing around 8:00pm, it was really late for dinner for me and all the pub food looked great (and smelled incredible), but I was so hungry I didn't want to order and have to wait for it and have my stomach eat itself in the meantime. So, we took off and I got home around 9:00 and ate a little snack and went to bed. Overall great run, made up for the crap day.

Today, work went by sort of fast, the crap from the previous day still lingering and annoying me all day, but I made it through and survived another 40 hours and made it to the weekend. I went to the gym for a quick sweat session and some stretching. Nothing crazy, just 30 minutes on the eliptical. On my way home, my crackberry was going off every 3 minutes "ding-da-ding, ding-dong" email notifications, Dana Farber Donations, lots of them, enough to put me over $5000!!!!! Just yesterday I revised my goal from $5000 to $7500, I'm already past my original goal and I have over 2 months left to reach my new goal and maybe even surpass it too. So, not a great week, but it ended great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment