Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Goofy Challenge - DONE!

I just flew home from not so sunny Florida last night after completing Disney's Goofy Challenge race and a half, half marathon and full marathon, 39.3 miles in two days. On Saturday I ran the half marathon and it snowed at the start (technically it was sleet, but according to Florida weather reporters there may have been a "random snowflake"). It was really cold and wet, but so much fun. The course starts in Epcot and gos to the Magic Kingdom and then back to Epcot for the finish. Disney Characters line the course and staff are there to take pictures of you with the characters. I ran dressed as Tinkerbell. Of course I had to modify the costume a little to a few layers because of the crazy cold weather, but it still worked out.

Sunday morning we got to the start of the marathon a little late because it was so cold out that everyone tried to show up as close to the start as possible. Well, by the time we got through the parking lot and walked to the start area, the race had already started and they closed the access road to the start line. We had to run back to the parking lot and climb through the woods and over some palm trees and then run backwards on the side of the course where the spectators were and then across the course where people were already running and finally across the start mats. I think we did an extra 3 miles, but it was a good warm up because it was so cold out that the water at the first few water stops was frozen solid. Did I mention the race was in FLORIDA!!!?
Anyway, I finished both races in decent times, 2:33 for the half (stopping to take pictures with the characters) and 4:54 for the full marathon, I'm not gonna lie, the last few miles were pretty painful. Overall, it was an amazing trip and a super fun race and a half(I still have my wristband on and I don't think I'm going to take it off). Now, I've got a week of recovery/active recovery before I start right back up with my training for Boston!

I sent out a reminder/update email today and instantly got about 10 donations. I'm over the minimum fundraising requirement and well on my way to my $5000 goal. I really hope I go way above and beyond it.

No comments:

Post a Comment