Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year - Lowell's first run 10K

While some people were out partying like crazy and spending tons of money on over priced booze or even at home counting down the clock to the new year with Ryan Seacrest, I was snuggled cozy and asleep in my bed. I took a year in review spin class yesterday and suffered through Lady Gaga and some of the other club hits of the year. The class was good and some of the music was good too. I definitely worked up a sweat and even fogged up the mirrows a little. Afterwards, I went home and settled in with my favorite pre-race meal Newman's Own thin crust cheese pizza and some ice cream. I flipped through the channels and watched end of the year reruns of various shows and went to bed by 10:00pm. Oddly enough I woke up almost exactly at midnight, then rolled over and went back to sleep. Boring, I know.

Today I started off 2010 with a 10K road race in Lowell. I was surprised by how many other people were there too. The weather was actually really nice. Cool and overcast and the sun came out after the race. I was secretly hoping it would be raining or snowing and a lot of people would bail on the race so that I could have a chance of placing in my age group. When I showed up and realized my bib# was 849 and there were a lot of higher numbers walking through the crowd, that hope disappeared like the clouds in the sky. Oh well. It was still a great run. Mostly flat course that was two laps, just one lap for the 5K. I hate that because you see the 5K people finishing and you're only halfway done. The second half of the race the course was a little different too, went down some side streets I wasn't expecting. It was a weird surprise, at first sort of nice because we skipped part of the only hill on the course, but then it was a bit of a mental blow because when we rejoined the first lap part of the course I thought we were further than we really were. I picked up the pace in the last mile and passed a few people, but definitely didn't have much gas left in the tank when I crossed the finish.

Overall, I'd say it was a pretty great way to start the new year. I feel so much better than all the hungover and tired people in the world feel today. I don't really drink anymore because I've learned that if you put junk in you get junk out. If you had a high end sports car you wouldn't put regular unleaded gas in it. I know I'm not an elite athlete and I'm not the fastest person out there, but I care about what goes into my fuel tank. Happy New Year - health and happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment