Sunday, November 29, 2009

I love long runs on Sunday mornings

There's just something really peaceful and relaxing about a long run on a quiet Sunday morning. I just finished up a 10 miler (technically 10.7) and it was beautiful. Cool, crisp air in my lungs and bright, warm sunshine on my face. I couldn't ask for anything better. I run past three churches on my Sunday morning runs and think about worshiping God, but what better way is there to worship a God than to take in and enjoy his or her greatest creation, the earth, by treading softly on it and giving it a little transferred energy, in return getting a little bounce in your step and admiring all the beautiful things in the world as you run. I may not be the most religious person, but I feel very spiritual on my long Sunday runs.

This morning was great. I got into a comfortable rhythm almost immediately and cruised through the first 4 miles in what felt like no time at all. Took my first gel, had to gag it down because it was not my favorite flavor, but I need to use them up at some point. Continued on, saw several other runners out enjoying the gorgeous morning. At mile 7 I stopped by a friends house to say hi, she wasn't home, I said hi to the dog and the horse and continued my run. Mile 8ish, I took my last gel and hit the home stretch strong and finished fast. Felt great and could have run longer, but I need to feel like that at the end of my runs or else I know I'm overtrained. Finishing strong and feelin good is better than struggling and feeling like crap afterwards.

Time for a hot shower and some food to refuel and recover. I can relax for the rest of the day and then maybe run some errands and get ready for the week ahead. Trying to brainstorm some more fundraising ideas and hopefully I'll get some donations in the mail from all the letters I mailed out last week. We'll see. It'll be fun to watch the donations come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment